Instagram is the most leading and top-rated photo and video-sharing social media platform. Over 1 billion folks use Instagram, and the numbers keep on growing. Users like social media influencers, photographers, or people who want to share memories. While you probably use the app to show photos, it can also be a great source of entertainment and inspiration. If you desire to Download Instagram Videos for personal use, it’s challenging to do so right from the app. Its built-in data download function is merely for the content you post. There’re a few different ways to do so if you ever want to download your favorite videos.
What Instagram Videos can you Download?
Instagram‘s features have grown over time. If you ask someone about Instagram videos, they will ask you to be more specific. Are you talking about posts? Or IGTV? To assist you out, here’s a brief overview of Instagram videos:
- Video Posts – these are the videos clip you can find on any user’s Instagram feed.
- Instagram Live Videos – these are the live streams uploaded by users.
- Instagram Stories – these are the short videos clip that only appears for 24 hours.
- IGTV – a video streaming feature which allows long-form content
Why Download Videos from Instagram?
To Relive your Best-loved Memories.
Let’s say you wish to have a copy of that video of your dog you posted last week. Or your buddy posted an embarrassing video that you can someday use as blackmail over him. Either way, you would want to download that video to keep forever. You can never be too cautious, especially at the risk of getting your account hacked or suspended.
For Offline Viewing
It is also helpful for when you want an offline copy of your most-liked videos. You can review all your favorites and save data simultaneously if you’ve got a DIY project and want to refer to that one 5-minute craft Instagram video, at least you already have it.
How to Download Instagram Videos for Computer
Through the app
Instagram merely introduced a data download feature in 2018. This feature enables you to retrieve your Instagram archive. It includes all your posts, comments, profile data, and much more.
For mobile, you will have the option to save your IG stories before and after you post it. To download before you post, tap the down-facing arrow icon on the upper side. To download after you post, now go to your Profile. Go to Menu > Archive. Now, Click on the story you want to save, and then tap More > Save Video. You will be able to find the saved video clip in your Camera Roll. This technique will only work for the stories you’ve posted.
Moreover, these features are handy, especially if you want to migrate to another application. Although it’s useful to note that it only works for your account, if there are any videos you need to save from other users, this will not work. But never fear, there are alternatives.
Through Third-party Websites
There’s a multitude of websites that offer to assist you in downloading Instagram videos. They are easy to use, completely free, and you’ll have that video saved in no time.
Savefromweb provides HD quality downloads. It also supports the download of Instagram images and Profile pictures. The video downloads save as MP4, while images save as JPEG. The interface is pretty easy to navigate. You can download it in six simple steps.
- Go to Instagram and search the video of your preference.
- On the upper right corner of the post, tap on the three-dot icon, and select Copy Link.
- Go to the Savefromweb site, and paste the link on the box.
- Press download, and it’ll take you to a page with a preview of the video.
- Tap the download button again, and it will download your video right away, and you can find it on your Downloads folder.
This entirely free tool is compatible not only with Instagram but other websites as well. It’s listed as compatible with: YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Keek, Twitch, and much more. You can use it like Savefromweb.
- Copy the link of your video clip from Instagram.
- Now paste the link on the box, and hit Enter.
- It’ll take you to a page with a preview of the video.
- Tap the MP4 download link to complete your download.
It has a straightforward layout and easy to follow instructions on the site itself. Its minimalist design is simple and straight to the point. It was an intentional choice by the website’s creators to make it effortless for the users. Following the same instructions, you can download your videos via these steps:
- Firstly, copy the link of your video from Instagram.
- Then paste the link on the box, and hit Enter.
- I’ll take you to a page with a preview of the video.
- Tap the MP4 download link to complete your download.
DownloadGram has a fun, interactive layout. It enables you the option to download IGTV episodes with precise quality. Although the download speed is a little slower, it makes up for it with its high-quality resolution.
- Follow the previous steps.
- Tap the ‘Download Video’ button down below.
- Your video will pop up on the Downloads bar right away.
This site does not offer a preview of the video, but it can be found in your Downloads folder. If you are looking to download more videos from Instagram, you will need an external hard drive to save them all.
Through Browser Addons/Extensions:
The other way to download Instagram videos is via extensions. Also, if your browser is Google Chrome, you can even download addons or extensions on the Chrome Web Store. It is preferable if you’re planning to download Instagram videos frequently.
1. Download Instagram Plus (Chrome)
This extension is convenient and practical. It enables you to download videos and photos from Instagram. You will see that all posts have this icon if you go to an account’s Profile and hover your mouse over a post. Clicking on the icon will instantly download the video. It is a handy tip for those who want to mass download posts. It can work for private accounts as well, as long as you are following them.
It also supports IGTV downloads. Though for this, you’ll have to go to each video and download it from there.
Here is how to use it.
- When added to Chrome, each post on your Instagram feed will have a small icon on the upper left.
- To download your video, tap this icon.
The download may take a little duration, around a minute or so.
2. FastSave for Instagram (Chrome)
This extension is very simple and straight to the point. Its design similar to or matches Instagram’s interface. You would think it is part of the app itself. Another best feature is that it allows you to download IG stories without anyone knowing it was you.
It works like the previous one:
- An icon will appear on the upper left of the post, indicating download.
- Tap the icon to download.
You can repeat the process to download IG stories. As its name suggested, it downloads pretty speedily too.
3. Downloader for Instagram + Direct Message (Chrome)
The Instagram website lacks ample functionality of the mobile app. You cannot watch Instagram DMs or post anything to the site. It is inconvenient if you want to post videos that are already on your desktop. Luckily, this extension can help you out.
The Downloader for an Instagram extension allows mass downloading of images and videos. Not only that, but it also enables you to upload a profile picture and an IG story from your desktop. It even supports direct messaging (DM) in the browser. Perfect for sliding into those DMs.
You can download this extension in three ways.
The First way:
- Go to the post you wish to download.
- Tap on the Download button on the upper left corner.
The Second way:
- Hit the extension’s icon on the browser’s navigation bar.
- A drop-down box will pop up, and thumbnails of every image on your current page will appear.
- Tap on the posts you want to download.
The Third way:
- Hit the extension’s icon on Instagram’s navigation bar.
- It’ll give you the option to download all the posts on the current page.
- You can even set the range for the number of posts you want to download.
- Hit Download.
So, As of writing, this feature is no longer available. Therefore that may differ relying on your browser or PC operating system. You are free to give it a try.
This method doesn’t involve any 3rd party apps or extensions. If you’ve experienced with HTML, then you might recognize this. Follow this tutorial for in-depth, step-by-step guidance.
Downloading Instagram Videos for Mobile
You can download Instagram videos for mobile also. You can use the websites listed above on your mobile browser. The steps will be the same.
You can also opt to download 3rd party applications to aid your downloads. Here’re a few apps on Android and iOS that you can find.
For Post Videos
- Video Downloader for Instagram (Android)
- IGSave (Android/iOS)
- Blaze: Browser & File Manager (iOS)
For IG Stories
- Story Saver App (Android)
- Story Reposter (iOS)
- Siri Shortcuts (iOS)
- Save (Android)
Now, go wild and download to your best-loved content. Do not forget to ask permission if you are planning on reposting these videos. Do remember, these folks or companies own the rights to their videos. This post only aims or intention to inform and educate people on how to download Instagram videos.